PDA

View Full Version : Torq Xponent

TeknoSounds
10-22-2007, 06:40 AM
So I was surfing around and found it for like $470...

think its worth getting at that price? msrp is like $750 and most places have it for $599

Cindersadnb
10-22-2007, 07:29 AM
its def worth the price for someone who is into the digital dj'ing and doesnt want to worry about actual decks and whatnot. Got to give it a test run, good solid program and external interface i must say

TeknoSounds
10-22-2007, 08:36 AM
well I' gonna try to really start focusing on production here in a bit, and I never did have the bug to spin vinyl, so I figure this would be one of the best setups :) don't have to worry about cds and a mixer, just need to get a decent laptop to run it on....but thats for when I'm ready to play out even :p

Espre
10-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Thats a really good deal... The Xponent is an awsome controller and has the Connectiv USB Audio Interfae built in so no need for another soundcard. Plus it's all midi assignable in other programs so it could easily be used as a board and trigger controller in ableton or any other program you choose. $470 is a steal, plus it comes with Torq in the box...

Packer
10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
It's also all plastic (similar to the feel of the Torq software itself). It has no audio inputs to speak of (it's a different USB audio interface from the Connectiv btw Jeff), so you couldn't opt to use CDJs or turntables down the road without getting a different audio interface (such as Connectiv), nor could you really use it as a very functional sound card outside of this specific application. Personally, I bought Torq Connectiv and am not impressed with the software, nor the sound quality. I suggest that you find a brick and mortar store that has Xponent set up for you to try hands on... then make your decision.

davemolina
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Personally, I bought Torq Connectiv and am not impressed with the software, nor the sound quality.

They really need feedback when you're not satisfied with their product. Only through constructive feedback will the manufacturer know where their product falls short and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. I think you should be the one person out of many to express your disappointment.

Take some quiet time, gather your thoughts, then write a mature letter. After running a spell-check, make sure the font you're using is sans serif. Then make sure you're using a good quality printing paper so the ink does not run. After setting your margins, run a test print of the letter to make sure all is in order.

Once you're ready to go, print your final draft, tape it to your forehead, then put a bullet through it.

Me (See Below)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg

DJPowder1200
10-22-2007, 01:55 PM
i wouldn't spend that on the xponent. i've been messing around with torq without tables, and assigning a slider on a midi controller to the pitch control seem to work pretty well. if i had it to do over again i would've bought one of the other dj setups though, for the simple fact that mp3s played at 48k just don't sound very good to me over a big system. i would've opted for a system that supported a higher bitrate.

JustJoe
10-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Dave = :winner:

:roll2:

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Dammit. I just bought Torq/Connectiv....

I guess I'll try it out in a club setting this coming weekend and see how it goes.

Packer
10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
They really need feedback when you're not satisfied with their product. Only through constructive feedback will the manufacturer know where their product falls short and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. I think you should be the one person out of many to express your disappointment.

Take some quiet time, gather your thoughts, then write a mature letter. After running a spell-check, make sure the font you're using is sans serif. Then make sure you're using a good quality printing paper so the ink does not run. After setting your margins, run a test print of the letter to make sure all is in order.

Once you're ready to go, print your final draft, tape it to your forehead, then put a bullet through it.

Me (See Below)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg

lmao your consistent effort of 110% to be the biggest douche possible is commendable. You're also black.

davemolina
10-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Look how scared the ^^^ whiteboy is!!!

JustJoe
10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Dammit. I just bought Torq/Connectiv....

I guess I'll try it out in a club setting this coming weekend and see how it goes.I used Andy's back in April at the Ghost Ranch and had no problems. I plugged in my flashdrive & played my set without having even seen the program before. I still say that they all feel the same to me. I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance between my FS2, Dave / Jake's Serato, or Andy's Torq.

AOS
10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Had an issue with Torq this weekend, it wouldn't read Bubbs's external harddrive for some reason. The program also locked up and had to shut it down from the task manager. Other than that, the other few times I've used it, it's been stable.

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Cool. I'm new to this digital Dj thing but with the amount of music I have to bring with me every saturday, I needed to go digital. They don't pay me enough to keep burning CDs and lugging CD cases to the club, along with my other equipt.

I was watching the Torq tutorials, and it does seem pretty easy with the Xponent. But I'm not experienced in the specs of what would make the program "better" or "good." I'm not playing for thousands of people so it really doesn't make that much of a difference to me, I suppose. As long as it works and makes my time in the booth on Saturdays easier for me, that is what matters most.

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Damn...I hope the thing doesn't shut down on me....lol There would be 300 pissed off people on Saturday boo'ing my ass....

AOS
10-22-2007, 04:02 PM
I think it was my laptop, it's been bitchy.

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
God forbid it gets stuck repeating the Soulja Boy over and over....

davemolina
10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Damn...I hope the thing doesn't shut down on me....lol There would be 300 pissed off people on Saturday boo'ing my ass....

But they're all girls...they can't do anything.

**waits for beating**

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know Dave....sometimes, it's hard to be sure....

You piss off 300 "girls" at once and let me know how it turns out...

They get cranky if they don't get their cupid shuffle..

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Throw in a couple of girls like this as well....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/DizzySwoopes/l_f77f893f7fe0b2d8b87c008216e33b41.jpg

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Wow....I really NEED a new gig...

AOS
10-22-2007, 04:27 PM

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/DizzySwoopes/l_f77f893f7fe0b2d8b87c008216e33b41.jpg

Sweet. Jesus. I can't stop laughing.

PS Lori, working on some ideas for Fridays that may be a little more conducive for good music.

davemolina
10-22-2007, 04:30 PM

o

m

g

I am sooo saving that!!!

DizzySwoopes
10-22-2007, 07:28 PM
http://www.houstonbeats.com/board/showthread.php?t=98468&highlight=sharpies

sorry for flowing off topic...but i had to.

JustJoe
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
:thumbsdown: @ the beast in that pic

*shudders*

Cindersadnb
10-23-2007, 07:30 AM
you dont really need anything higher than 48k tbh. Thats being self indulgent on the sample rate if you want higher. I have been using connectiv like whoa for my tunes and hae been impressed at how the end product sounds. I like it for my needs which are :

1. production/digital dj on a budget
2. see above
3. see above and add broke ass mescan

so yea......

Packer
10-23-2007, 08:29 AM
word, a 48KHz sample rate is plenty. Encoding bitrate is another ballgame obviously.

davemolina
10-23-2007, 09:05 AM
word, a 48KHz sample rate is plenty. Encoding bitrate is another ballgame obviously.

You're absolutely right. You should write a letter to those people that think otherwise...

Cindersadnb
10-23-2007, 09:06 AM
^^^ lol

Packer
10-23-2007, 09:34 AM
You're absolutely right. You should write a letter to those people that think otherwise...

shouldn't you be on your way to Africa dickhead?

TeknoSounds
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
well getting back on topic...

still debating... *ponders*

guy has 6 left so got a bit of time

DizzySwoopes
10-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Eh I say get it. What harm would it do? If you don't like it, sell it. Most all in one packages aren't going to be the "best" quality but they take care of the basics of what you need. You won't see any "superstar" DJ's using them but that is besides the point. I'm pretty sure if you do start to record and make professional tracks or mixes, you have SW that can offer you a better performance if need be. You are computer Savvy, you know how to make something better. I don't see the harm in trying something out.

But I'm an impulse buyer and that is my two cents.

TeknoSounds
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I know thats my problem too! And its always the really expensive shit too...ask Joe :p

DizzySwoopes
10-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm already planning my tax return purchase.......

DizzySwoopes
10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm going to possibly purchase the M-Audio Trigger Finger next week.

TeknoSounds
10-23-2007, 10:12 AM
mmmk just did it, tho not exactly payment method I wanted. Oh wells, win some lose some.

so even tho I don't have anything to play on it (yet) who wants to come over when I get it and show me some of the finer points? :D :bong1: session included ;)

oh btw link to the one i just got, currently $480 w/ shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120173971800&Category=41784

DizzySwoopes
10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Have fun!

TeknoSounds
10-27-2007, 07:49 AM
so I got it in, took only 2 days....its a lil daunting but cool to look at so far :D

So who wants to come over and have a go at it? sadly I don't have any tracks to really play with it right now.

BTW who all has an Xponent vs the other devices?

Cindersadnb
10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Ihave been debating buying this over some new airsoft equipment come income tax time. Id like to go give a whirl If i could Nick, but goin up to atown is a chore right now.

TeknoSounds
10-30-2007, 07:48 AM
dude you're absolutely more than welcome to :)

just drag that slacker ass Joe with ya :D

in fact ya'll should come up for the Kid Beyond show on the 9th.

DizzySwoopes
11-21-2007, 02:29 PM
how has this been treating you Nick?

kyzer
11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
i invented it. its great

DizzySwoopes
11-21-2007, 03:19 PM
haha..i've used it out (Torq/Conn) and it froze on me a couple of times...nothing big, because i made sure to hook up the club CD players to the mixer just incase but maybe I may need to make some tweaks to my laptop. I'm also thinking maybe the computer became overheated, since I didn't have it on a stand and there is no real air circulation in there. We'll see this sat how it goes. I should have a stand by then.

TeknoSounds
11-21-2007, 07:10 PM
lol kyzer.

its been great :D Tho honestly haven't used it too much. Keep buying games and playing those :(

Also, won't be used in any sort of performance setting, so for now its only being hooked up to my desktop.

Whats the specs on the laptop you're using?

DizzySwoopes
11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Mainboard : Quanta 30BB
Chipset : Intel i945GM
Processor : Intel Core Duo @ 1600 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GU Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Hard Disk : ST9120821AS (120 GB)
Hard Disk : Maxtor (160 GB)

Network Card : Broadcom Corp Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
Network Card : Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (December 2002)

TeknoSounds
11-22-2007, 03:33 AM
hmms odd, should have plenty of umph to run everything. were you running the latest version? There was an update on the site I found after installing.

more than welcome to come up and play anytime you wish Dizz :D

Cindersadnb
11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
hey Dizz, i can make your lappie run smoothly for Torq if u need. let me know

JustJoe
11-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey Lori, Carlos & I are probably gonna go visit Nick pretty soon. You're more than welcome to come with us if you want. More than likely it'll be a Sunday.

DizzySwoopes
11-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Nick,

it should be the latest version. I'll have to double check. I was on the Torq DJ forums and numerous people have had this happen to them.

Joe,

Sounds cool. I'm down. Just give me a heads up so I can request to take a half day off on Monday and still be able to make it. It's hard to get any time off in December. (end of year crap)

Cinder, that would be cool too. I downloaded a list of tweaks I could apply, maybe you could help me sort through the ones that are needed.