Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS!

1. #1 Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    What happened to all the great flier designs? Here's a list of things that annoy me. A good example is the Jask flier.

1. Gradients and drop shadows are SO played out!
    2. You should almost never use centered text.
    3. If your a promoter, please pay someone to design you a decent logo.
    4. Please get your color palette in order.
    5. It's all about the negative space.
    6. For the most part, NO ONE wants to read a long as biography.
    7. Remember your hierarchy. If everything is big, then it will all be the same size so it makes it pointless.
    8. Crowding a bunch of meaningless text. Remember, less is more.

*** I'm probably the only one who's into nerdy shit like typography.
    Last edited by Mr. Puga; 05-23-2009 at 12:29 AM.

2. #2 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    there are some who never went to graphic design school. Who design their own fliers because it is .........

1.cost effective
    2. they want practice on photoshop to create better fliers in the future
    3. want to have design control on what goes on the flier
    4. doesnt want to pester someone when changes need to be made

what annoys ME is complaining on a creative design that someone put their personal time and effort into. Yes they may use drop shadow, yes they may use gradient and not so perfect layering and outer glow....keep in mind that the ppl that create those "annoying, and un-GREAT flier designs" might still be learning and dont need to be criticized for doing their best with what they know.....

kthxbai

Quote Originally Posted by johnpuga1982 View Post
    What happened to all the great flier designs? Here's a list of things that annoy me. A good example is the Jask flier.

1. Gradients and drop shadows are SO played out!
    2. You should almost never use centered text.
    3. If your a promoter, please pay someone to design you a decent logo.
    4. Please get your color palette in order.
    5. It's all about the negative space.
    6. For the most part, NO ONE wants to read a long as biography.
    7. Remember your hierarchy. If everything is big, then it will all be the same size so it makes it pointless.
    8. Crowding a bunch of meaningless text. Remember, less is more.

*** I'm probably the only one who's into nerdy shit like typography.

3. #3 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    i guess she told you
    :devilfire: "It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -albert einstein :devilfire:

what if our cars started changing gears for us? that would really be cheating!

4. #4 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    Out of all the shit people talk on here, your going to get your panties in a twist over shit flier designs. First, if your designing fliers in photoshop your already making a mistake. Photoshop uses bit maping to map out pixels in images. You should be using vector programs like InDesign or Illustrator to lay out text. I have no problem with people learning, but if your a club owner or promoter, invest in your product. It's your business for god sakes. Have some fucking pride in your product.

The only way people get better is by practice and listening to what others have to say about your work.

5. #5 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with all of what John said. I've seen some seriously sub-par flyers done in my day. Too many different font types, colors that don't work, overdoing of glow effects/blurs, etc. It's one thing if you're doing it homegrown, as in it's just you doing all of the work (and maybe you don't have access to a graphics person) but it's another all together when it's a big club/event that has the scrilla to make things pretty. Personally, I would run designs by people first, before even putting it out there because that quality control factor is definitely lacking sometimes.

Perfect example are all of the massives in LA or similar places. You have flyers that fold, are laid out well for the most part and are generally nice to look at. Then you have some fly-by-night crew making flyers that look like ass. It's not that hard to solicit opinions, or if worse comes to worst, finding an actual designer. Hell, I know like 5 off the bat that I would ask if I needed something designed or critiqued.

Just don't throw something together that looks like it coulda been done in 3 minutes on MS Paint by an 8 year-old and expect to get love for it.

Quote Originally Posted by davemolina View Post
    I would say bring in your bassline around the 32 and kick in your vocal/main melody at 64. After that, fuck yourself for about 64 then repeat. Outro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zild View Post
    Gotta love the bragging about being in the scene for x amount of years and still getting absolutely nowhere.

6. #6 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    im gonna have to say digital vs mr frost were the best flyer designers. you are fortunet to still have yours i burned all of mine.

7. #7 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    OHHHHHHHHHHHH Give me a break.....if you want to "name drop" your software thats your own deal....i have seen some flier design that has been off the wall using photoshop cs ALONE!!!! not even CS 4!!! so if you think you need all these fancy name software to create your fliers then you go ahead and spend the money.... TRUE skill comes with using what you have....i have created fliers using only cs. i know that the last thing you want to hear is negative complaining and crying from someone who hasnt planned or created anykind of artistic expression out there in the form of a promotion or flier.....so until you have a flyer that is something better then what your complaining against STFU.,.....your argument is petty and worth pennies in my book.....

and your right.....as much shit ppl talk on here i DO get my panties in a wad from someone talking about "shitty flier design" because you have to take in consideration some ppl have artistic expression in making their fliers....or someone might have made their first flier to a party and has a DOUCHE bag like you pick it apart because they didnt use the right shading or shadowing....???? Give me a break and get the fuck over it!!!!!!! Its just a flier and the creater will learn with time.......

i dont see any of you fucks promoting world wide parties with your fliers!!!!!!!!!

Out of all the shit people talk on here, your going to get your panties in a twist over shit flier designs. First, if your designing fliers in photoshop your already making a mistake. Photoshop uses bit maping to map out pixels in images. You should be using vector programs like InDesign or Illustrator to lay out text. I have no problem with people learning, but if your a club owner or promoter, invest in your product. It's your business for god sakes. Have some fucking pride in your product.

The only way people get better is by practice and listening to what others have to say about your work.
    Last edited by kNEEnUH rOXxX; 05-23-2009 at 06:23 AM.

8. #8 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AOS View Post
    Just don't throw something together that looks like it coulda been done in 3 minutes on MS Paint by an 8 year-old and expect to get love for it.
    I still stand by this statement.

I would say bring in your bassline around the 32 and kick in your vocal/main melody at 64. After that, fuck yourself for about 64 then repeat. Outro.
    Gotta love the bragging about being in the scene for x amount of years and still getting absolutely nowhere.

9. #9 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    i wont go to a party if the flier is super ugly. straight up.

now, if its IRONIC ugly, like CLEARLY mspaint garbage, then ill go.

10. #10 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    Don't forget overly used filters in photoshop such as lens flare...

11. #11 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Seen my share of fliers in my day.
    I have to say tough, if you are getting paid to design a flier it needs to be proper.
    need a video produced? pm me!

12. #12 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep^.

Would you really want something totally subpar and amateurish representing you and your event?

13. #13 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    Quote Originally Posted by kNEEnUH rOXxX View Post
    OHHHHHHHHHHHH Give me a break.....if you want to "name drop" your software thats your own deal....i have seen some flier design that has been off the wall using photoshop cs ALONE!!!!
    Yes, you do use photoshop to edit images that are in your design. But since it doesn't use math the render out its output, You'll never get a truly straight edge on your lines and text. Photoshop does have what they call "photoshop vector," but it has its limitations.

not even CS 4!!! so if you think you need all these fancy name software to create your fliers then you go ahead and spend the money....
    CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, that's all irrelevant. It's how the programs works! As I stated, photoshop uses bit mapping to display pixels in an image. InDesign and Illustrator are vector programs that use mathematical equations to render out its output.

TRUE skill comes with using what you have....
    I agree with this, but there are limitations to the programs and knowing this will enhance your design skills by allowing the user to work within the programs limitations.

i know that the last thing you want to hear is negative complaining and crying from someone who hasnt planned or created anykind of artistic expression out there in the form of a promotion or flier......,.....your argument is petty and worth pennies in my book.....
    Actually, since you've just admitted you haven't produced any work, your arguments are "petty and worth pennies." At least with the people who do put out bad work, you can ask them what their mind set was when making the decisions they made. By establishing a rational you can, 1.) correct bad decision making, and 2.) improve design skills.

...so until you have a flyer that is something better then what your complaining against STFU.,.....your argument is petty and worth pennies in my book.....
    Here's something I did a while back. Shit takes time, therefore I don't do shit for free.

and your right.....as much shit ppl talk on here i DO get my panties in a wad from someone talking about "shitty flier design" because you have to take in consideration some ppl have artistic expression in making their fliers....
    That's such hippie bullshit. You don't read about bad artists in history books. You read about the good ones. Take a fucking art history class.

or someone might have made their first flier to a party and has a DOUCHE bag like you pick it apart because they didnt use the right shading or shadowing....????
    Can you read and comprehend sentences? I said if your a club owner or promoter, TAKE SOME FUCKING PRIDE in your product. This wasn't directed to the kids doing parties in their garage or the local dj who does a small show at local tavern. My argument is stated to the club owners and promoters who have the "means" to get proper promotional pieces. I mean, fuck, if we're paying $20 dollars to get into your event you could at least give us some nice promotional pieces to pursued us to spend the money.

Give me a break and get the fuck over it!!!!!!! Its just a flier and the creater will learn with time.......
    Why do you take some of your own advice and you "get the fuck over it." Like you said, "its just a flier."

i dont see any of you fucks promoting world wide parties with your fliers!!!!!!!!!
    Your right, 99.9% of these people won't promote world wide parties with their flier design. Production companies who do promote world wide parties spend thousands on web and print pieces. And your dam straight they're not going to spend that amount of money on shit work.
    Last edited by Mr. Puga; 05-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.

14. #14 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AOS View Post
    Yep^.

Would you really want something totally subpar and amateurish representing you and your event?
    Saving money is good.
    But if you want your business/event recognized, it cost.

As for the argument of people getting bashed about their flier designs, well if you can't stand criticism you shouldnt be in the digital graphics market. Thats all this shit is, is exposure for exposure, right?

15. #15 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly^.

It's just like with music production, people are going to love or hate it, depending. You gotta have a thick skin and be able to get over it and figure out where you're going wrong.

16. #16 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    I've always liked the saying "what wont break ya. makes ya stronger"

17. #17 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    ooooo a piece of candy

18. #18 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    i really like the flyer design for the tour/camp-out next weekend. electric colors and images that pop off the page.

it does take a chunk out of the budget, but it is totally worth it.

dallas: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    back: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

austin: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    back: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    "My (musical) world is a little bit dark... a little bit off-center. I think of it as tragically beautiful. That is how I would describe what I love best: tragically beautiful." (http://www.angelobadalamenti.com/)

<table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Shiva Shakti</td></tr></tbody></table>

19. #19 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    as i said in the statement i HAVE made fliers.....i have made a couple for some local parties. i was referring to YOUR negative comments and crybabying

and im spent with this debate folks.....just thought i'd get a voice out there that isnt normally heard in the usual....

Actually, since you've just admitted you haven't produced any work, your arguments are "petty and worth pennies." At least with the people who do put out bad work, you can ask them what their mind set was when making the decisions they made. By establishing a rational you can, 1.) correct bad decision making, and 2.) improve design skills.

20. #20 Re: Bad flier designs drive me NUTS! 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's something I did a while back. Shit takes time, therefore I don't do shit for free.

Not to make an enemys here and not to piss in your cheerios, but thats' just a few brushes and text...something like this would take around 15 minutes to make. It looks nice though, very clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast