Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harmonic Mixing

1. #1 Harmonic Mixing 
    Anyone heard of/practice this shiz:

Harmonic Mixing

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    my sensei was teaching me this (kauz) its a very interesting concept. i would like to learn more about it

http://myspace.com/malasuertednb <--world domination
    http://myspace.com/drumlogistics <-- The Crew
    MalasuerteDNB - Abducted Recs (USA), Phantom Htz (USA)

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I key my tunes. I still don't have enough rekkids to do a set of any single genre and stay in key. Need more money for tunes.
    Fuck your local scene! :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by Zild
    Yeah, I key my tunes. I still don't have enough rekkids to do a set of any single genre and stay in key. Need more money for tunes.
    did you teach yourself or did somebody teach you?

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    one way i have been tryin to teach myself is by actually applying my musical training. (classically trained musician of over 8 yrs) but its hard. i wanna get this concept down

http://myspace.com/malasuertednb <--world domination
    http://myspace.com/drumlogistics <-- The Crew
    MalasuerteDNB - Abducted Recs (USA), Phantom Htz (USA)

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't much time to practice it, but I found a good tutorial on tranceaddict. I believe you hafta ket your tracks first and I just don't have the time. I wanna start it eventuallly. Right now, I just do trial and error.

Matt Bonner Fan Club President

I used to be like that, before I learned how to be smooth around girls. You don’t go begging for kisses on the cheek like some schlubby pussy. You just gotta sock ‘em in the arm and go “Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?” And then it’s Miller time. - Film Drunk

70% of the world is covered by water...the rest by Bruce Bowen.

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKdisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Zild
    did you teach yourself or did somebody teach you?
    How to key tunes? or about harmonic mixing? I always knew songs were in different keys and thats why some of them don't go well together but I didn't get into the whole camelot number system until I saw a thread about it on djforums.com some time back. Almost every trance and breakbeat song I own are in minor keys. Its really easy to key a song I just whip out my guitar and play minor barre chords until I get one that sounds right and thats the key. Sometimes I'm off a lil but its not a huge deal, if I don't notice I don't think peeps that haven't been into music almost their whole lives will. The way it goes is that every key is assigned a number say 11A or 13B, A is major, B is minor. You can mix from an 11 to a 10 or a 12 and it doesn't matter too much if its major or minor. If while you're mixing you move from a lower frequency key to a higher frequency key It will sound like your mix is increasing in energy even if you don't push the BPM.

This isn't too important with the more precussive styles like Techno but its a must for any big Trancer. You should be able to tell if you're mixing tracks way out of key without having to actually key your tracks unless you're tonedeaf though. I still like to know the key and BPM of my tracks at 0.

That being said, turntablism for lyf3!

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Its a concept I've been working from the day I started djing.. almost 4 years ago now.. (damn..)..

I've been playing guitar and bass for over 8 years(anyone wanna start a band? I only play accoustic these days soo only low key stuff. no screaming.. ) now and sorta used the same concepts as to what Zild was talking about above.. But with that said, you have to really know all of your records..

You can tell by listening to track a and then track b.. Regardless of the key and how perfect its beat matched you can tell when some tracks just don't work with each other. It doesn't mater how bad ass the 2 tracks are.. if they it doesn't sound right.. It just doesn't sound right. It almost always circles back to how well you know your records, and how well you have them ordered.. Ordered as in how each track sounds and not by title, or producer. Also not ordered as in, this is what Im going to play, but ordered in as these 5 tracks all sound like they work with each other.

listen to my latest Awake Until I sleep mix.. Thats almost all mixed by key, and the parts that are not mixed by key have long outtros and intros so its just drums anyway.

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    ive been known to harmonic mix, and quite frankly, i have a habit of it. i tought myself and it takes a good ear and talent. like it has been said, several songs are in the same key, but the up and down pitch does change that key. now getting 2 songs to speak to each other at the same bpm's and making them harmonize in that sense, takes alot of practice. you must be trained in the arts to fully understand and appreciate this style. *bows along with the sound of a gong in the background*

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by I kauz I
    ive been known to harmonic mix, and quite frankly, i have a habit of it. i tought myself and it takes a good ear and talent. like it has been said, several songs are in the same key, but the up and down pitch does change that key. now getting 2 songs to speak to each other at the same bpm's and making them harmonize in that sense, takes alot of practice. you must be trained in the arts to fully understand and appreciate this style. *bows along with the sound of a gong in the background*
    werd

but I didn't get into the whole camelot number system until I saw a thread about it on djforums.com
    yeah there is alot of infomation on that site about this, i beleive that there are some online data bases that you can enter the song and it tells you the keys, but also i think there are charts and what not to help with finding the key. Its interesting, but also seems time consuming, i plan on playing around with it ......sometime

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a guitar or some sort of instrument handy it takes a minute or so to determine the key of a song. What I find difficult is that the key changes with the pitch and I need alot more records to fill out a nice long harmonic mix.

^^ yeah i know what you mean , im the same way my collection isnt big enough to take the time to do that yet

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: uberOMG PSN ID: Auralyze
    yeah Eric and i use to do that whole harmonic mix thing back in the spyroom days... i have always made sure all my mix cds are harmonically mixed but since i mix on the fly at gigs there is usually one or two that slip by. Its not that hard to do live as long as you test it in the cue.. skip towards the center of the record you are cueing up and listen in the headphones at pitch... you should be able to tell right away whether its in key or not. There are also key changes you can do... you know, like certain chords flow with other chords and so on... so if you take a record of one key you can create a movment in the feel of the set by matching it with a compatible key. It gives the illusion of the mix being kicked up a notch with out feeling so abrupt. Its a good thing to practice and really its the only way to really DJ... I can't stand mixes live or on cd that aren't in key. Its something i think everyone should master if they are serious about being a DJ.
    -Jeff Espre

Visit me on SoundCloud!
    www.espremusic.com

My Opinion is, that it´s not important to know what Key a Track is!
    It´s all about the feeling!
    If you practice enough, you "feel" if the record fits to the other or not!

It´s all about the "feel" for the Music!!!

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Booty

Some people are tonedeaf though. On second though, how would someone that is tonedeaf be able to key a tune properly.

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Booty

What he said.. 8)

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a cool pic I found. Hope fully it will help you make some sense of it. Once I get a good amount of time, I will be keying my tracks. The way it should work is that if you move up on the scale, it gives a bump to the energy level....moving down would make it feel subdued. Does that sound right guys?

At least as far as Trance goes. At some point, you do start to do it subliminally.

Matt Bonner Fan Club President

I used to be like that, before I learned how to be smooth around girls. You don’t go begging for kisses on the cheek like some schlubby pussy. You just gotta sock ‘em in the arm and go “Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?” And then it’s Miller time. - Film Drunk

70% of the world is covered by water...the rest by Bruce Bowen.

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    The Circle of Fifths.. ^^^

DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    Circle jerk?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast