Thread: Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen.

1. #1 Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen. 
    I'm a Librarian on the weekends and found this while shelving books. It's really entertaining.

Outrageous parties. Brazen drug use. Fantastical costumes. Celebrities. Wannabes. Gender-bending club kids. Pulse-pounding beats. Sinful orgies. Botched police raids. Depraved criminals. Murder.

Welcome to the decadent nineties club scene.

In 1995, journalist Frank Owen began researching a story on Special K, a designer drug that fueled the after-midnight club scene. He went to buy and sample the drug at the internationally notorious Limelight, a crumbling church converted into a Manhattan disco, where mesmerizing music, ecstatic dancers, and uninhibited sideshows attracted long lines of hopeful onlookers. Owen discovered a world where reckless hedonism was elevated to an art form, and where the ever-accelerating party finally spun out of control in the hands of notorious club owner Peter Gatien and his minions. In Clubland, Owen reveals how a lethal drug ring operated in a lawless, black-lit realm of fantasy, and how, when the lights came up, their excesses left countless victims in their wake.

Praised for his risk-taking and exhilarating writing style, Frank Owen has spawned a hybrid of literary nonfiction and true crime, capturing the zeitgeist of a world that emerged in the spirit of “peace, love, unity and respect,” and ended in tragedy.

2. #2 Re: Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen. 
    That was the book that Party Monster was based on, right?

3. #3 Re: Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen. 
    Party Monster was based on the book "Disco Bloodbath" by James St. James.

From what I can tell, it looks like "Clubland" takes place in the same club but maybe at a later time?

4. #4 Re: Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen. 
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano mullet View Post
    From what I can tell, it looks like "Clubland" takes place in the same club but maybe at a later time?
    Correct! This book is about Peter Gatien, the owner of Limelight, The Tunnel, and The Palladium. Peter Gatien employed Michael Alig, which is the same time "Disco Bloodbath" takes place.
    Last edited by Mr. Puga; 06-22-2010 at 04:33 PM.

5. #5 Re: Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen. 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    i read that book.. i thought it ran about the same time as disco blood bath, but didn't focus so much on james st jame story.. just an over all picture of things.

6. #6 Re: Been reading "Clubland" by Frank Owen. 
    DJ Mix Downloads
    Uploads
    http://soundcloud.com/Wyld-Stallyns
    http://twitter.com/_WyldStallyns

I can't believe you did it. I was teasing. I loved you. Course, I was coming up here to kill ya...